As of last month, I officially went back to doing Home Health Care full-time. (I spent the last year and a half working as a Tech/CNA/PCA at a hospital.) Home Health Care is my passion and I am absolutely certain that I am back where I belong! I am even taking care of the same patient I cared for previously. Here are some of the reasons I am SO happy to be back!
1. Hearing my patient’s daughter say “I sleep well at night when I know you are here taking care of my mother”.
2. Sharing my daughter’s prom pictures with my patient and her daughter. They’re like extended family.
3. Cooking meals for my patient that I know she will enjoy.
4. Having only ONE patient who gets 100% of my undivided time and attention.
5. Listening to another caregiver complain that she can’t get the patient to settle down and do anything, then 10 minutes into my shift, having my patient relaxing and eating a snack. (that other caregiver is no longer caring for this patient. Ahem.)
6. Driving to work in a great mood, singing to the radio and smiling.
7. Listening to absolutely fascinating stories from someone who has lived many years, traveled all over the world, and experienced many things.
8. Knowing that this is the work I was meant to do. It’s rewarding and fulfilling. It’s my calling. I’m good at it. And I hope I never have to do anything else!