This month’s Old School Blogging theme is recapping 2013.
I enjoy looking back and reflecting,
so I figured I’d give 2013 one more go-over for this post.
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
Helped skin a deer. Became a home & property owner. Participated in both the American Heart Association Walk and the walk for Lymphoma & Leukemia awareness.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make any, last year or this year. However, for a while now I’ve wanted to get back into creating art, which I haven’t done much of since high school, and I’m determined that this is the year I’m going to make that happen.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! My niece, Heather, gave birth to my second great-niece, Alexis, on August 1st.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. My husband’s stepfather passed away this year, as well as one of my uncles and one of my aunts.
5. What countries did you visit?
Just the good ole’ USA.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
A vegetable garden and some chickens. Mo’ money. Peace of mind. For certain wrongs to be righted.
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
March 15th – I got married! Other than that, just the usual holidays and loved ones’ birthdays.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Learning and improving at my job. Creating my little outdoor paradise, with a bonfire and rock garden and fairy lights. Planting some beautiful plants that I’ve always wanted. Improving our home, inside and out.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Choosing the wrong person to help with a certain situation. They didn’t end up being much help and now I will most likely have to start all over. But I won’t give up!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I hurt my back at work. Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Decorative stuff for the house. New bedding for everyone, blinds, wall deco.
12. Where did most of your money go?
To bills, of course, and our new home.
13. What did you get really excited about?
Our wedding. Alexis’ birth. My kids’ birthdays, especially Shelbie’s, which was her 18th. Our summer beach trip.
14. What song will always remind you of 2013?
“God Gave Me You” by Blake Shelton; we played it at our wedding.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? happier
– thinner or fatter? a little thinner
– richer or poorer? about the same
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spending time with my friends. Sitting by the bonfire. Writing. Volunteering. Hiking. Swimming. Fishing. Painting, creating, doing art.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying, being anxious, stressing out.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
We stayed home. All of our immediate family is nearby. All of my kids were home, and we went to my parents’ house after opening gifts at home to exchange gifts with them and my sister, niece and her family. We had a great time.
19. What was your favorite TV program?
I got into the Food Network this year and really enjoy Chopped. I also like Duck Dynasty and Honey Boo Boo!
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
Oh gosh. I read a LOT. One of my favorite authors, Wally Lamb, released a book this year, We Are Water, so of course I loved that.
The Bloggess’ book, Let’s Pretend This Never Happened (Jenny Lawson), was as awesome as I expected it to be.
The Homecoming of Samuel Lake by Jenny Wingfield, and Have No Shame by Melissa Foster were also very good. OK, I’ll stop now!
21. What was your favorite music from this year?
Everything Miranda Lambert released. Most of Florida Georgia Line’s music.
22. What was your favorite film of the year?
Silver Linings Playbook.
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Hubby and I went to St Augustine, and I turned the big 4-0!
24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Winning the lottery.
25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Thrift store chic. I get SO many compliment on my clothes and shoes, and I get almost everything from thrift or consignment shops. Love it!
26. What kept you sane?
My hubby, my friends, my Mom, my kids. (the same people who drove me INsane to begin with! ha)
27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
Join in, recap your year and link up!