It’s (fixing to be) Wednesday, so I’m Hodging and Podging.
1. Every January 1st since 1976 Lake Superior University has published a list of words they’d like to see banished from the Queen’s English. Words may be banished due to misuse, overuse or just general uselessness (go here to read more about how the words were chosen). Here are the words/phrases they’d like to see banished in 2014-
selfie, twerk/twerking, hashtag, Twittersphere, Mr. Mom, T-bone, ____on steroids, the suffixes-ageddon, and -pocalypse added to anything and everything, from the world of politics the words-intellectually/morally bankrupt and Obamacare, and from the world of sports the words-adversity and fan base
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you’d like to add?
I would most like to banish twerk/twerking (the word and the….thing), Twittersphere, and ____on steroids….I’m not sure what the problem is with T-bone? And I will admit to using “selfie” with only a tiny bit of shame.
I don’t like people using the word “hashtag” in actual speaking, but I have no problem with the word itself used appropriately. The rest…I don’t really care. If I had my choice, I’d also eliminate stupid words like “adorbs” and “totes”. Ugh.
2. What one unfinished project nags at you begging to be completed in this new year?
Hubby still hasn’t put the Christmas tree in the shed. It’s in the box, just sitting there, waiting…..otherwise, I think everything is done. For now.
3. When did you last have a bowl of soup? What kind? Homemade or from a can? What’s your favorite soup?
Oh, funny you should ask! I am on a soup kick right now that actually started before these insanely low temperatures hit. I sometimes get soup from the cafeteria at work. I also discovered that some of our Publix locations have hot soup bars with fresh cornbread and OMG. SOOO good. And I last had a bowl of soup on Tuesday night – homemade 15 Bean Soup and it was delicious. I am not sure I can pick a favorite kind; I love soup. A LOT. But Pickle Soup is definitely a favorite as well as Zuppa Toscana (I think I spelled that right?).
4. Snowed in, snowed under, snow job…which one most applies to your life in recent days, figuratively speaking.
5. What’s the funniest movie you’ve ever seen, or at least one of the funniest?
The Hangover movies, and Bad Teacher.
6. In general, would you say you’re clumsy?
OMGosh YES. Very. I always have bruises and scratches and bumps. I can trip over air.
7. Elvis Presley was born on Hodgepodge Day (January 8th) back in 1935. Are you an Elvis fan? What’s your favorite Elvis tune? If that’s too hard, which Elvis tune do you dislike the least? Click here for a list of his songs.
I am not a big Elvis fan myself, but my parents are big fans and now my youngest daughter, Elayna, is also a big Elvis fan. My best friend Danielle is a huge Elvis fan as well, and Elayna, Danielle and I have a ‘one day’ plan to visit Graceland. “Love Me Tender” is a beautiful song.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Today was a good day. I had the night off from work, I got a haircut, ran errands with my hubby, ate a delicious dinner of soup that I mentioned in number 3 (with cornbread, mmmm), and I’m now curled up under my electric blanket. That’s a pretty darned good day in my life!